- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineLearn at your own pace
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Language and Culture
On this course, you will learn about British life and culture, and improve your English language skills and knowledge.
Through short videos, you will learn about different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK, including English as a global language, the countryside, music, and literature. Filmed in Great Britain, these videos will help you to develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English. You will also examine some of the language used in the videos and analyse its use and learn how to use it again in practice.
English: the global language
- Why is English so widely used?
- How does technology help you learn?
- Language focus: passives
- Useful expressions
Music: making a difference
- What does British music mean to you?
- Music and society
- Language focus: clauses
Countryside: a green and pleasant land
- What do people think about the British countryside?
- A visit to the Lake District in north-west England
- A look at the different parts of the UK
- Language focus: description
Literature: books and identity
- British literature
- Shakespeare and the Globe Theatre
- Anniversaries in British literature
- Language focus: comparatives and superlatives
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Share your certificate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK.
- Explore English as a global language.
- Develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English.
- Reflect on language in use.
- Develop language skills and practise using new language.
- Discuss the countryside, music, and literature.
Who is the course for?
This British Council course is aimed at non-native English speakers who want to improve their English while exploring British culture. It would best suit those with intermediate English language skills; B1 on the CEFR or equivalent.
Improve your English language skills while discovering key aspects of British culture, from Shakespeare to live music, and more.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please enable all cookies and refresh the page to view this content.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends