Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Explore the English language through Shakespeare’s plays
William Shakespeare is the best-known and most-loved playwright in English history. So, what better way to improve your English language skills than through learning about the “Bard of Avon”? This introduction to Shakespeare explores his life in Elizabethan England. You’ll see some of the most famous Shakespeare plays, like Romeo and Juliet, brought to life by actors. Afterwards, you’ll discuss the plays’ key themes with the help of Shakespeare experts. You’ll learn about Shakespearean English, and will practice speaking (modern) English with your coursemates and tutors. This course will help you to understand why Shakespeare is so important in the history of English literature. ##Learn more about Shakespeare’s life and times Elizabethan England was a place of high drama and rapid change. This was also a time in which English theatre thrived and enjoyed great popularity. You’ll learn how Shakespeare’s life fitted into this background, following him from Stratford-upon-Avon to the famous Globe Theatre in London. #Explore key themes of famous Shakespeare plays No introduction to Shakespeare would be complete without looking at some of his work. You’ll explore some of his most famous and beloved works. Through these you’ll learn about Shakespearean English, and will discover the many new words that Shakespeare introduced to the English language. By the end of the course, you will understand why Shakespeare is so important, improving your English language skills along the way.
- Romeo and Juliet
- Much Ado About Nothing
- The Tempest
Our video tutor will guide you through the course and look at some of the words and expressions that Shakespeare introduced to the English language.
Short quizzes will check your understanding and you’ll be asked to share your ideas and opinions on the topics Shakespeare raises.
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Share your certificate
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the life and works of William Shakespeare.
- Investigate five of Shakespeare’s plays and look at the universal themes Shakespeare addressed in his work.
- Reflect on words and expressions that Shakespeare introduced to the English language.
Who is the course for?
This British Council course is aimed at non-native English speakers who want to improve their English while learning about Shakespeare. It would best suit those with intermediate English language skills; B1 on the CEFR or equivalent.
Improve your English language skills while discovering key aspects of British culture, from Shakespeare to live music, and more.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends