Help your patients use foods and nutrition to assist in conceiving and achieving good pregnancy outcomes.
Weekly study5 hours
Premium course$239What's included?
Food as Medicine: Fertility and Pregnancy
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Understand the role of food and nutrition in fertility and pregnancy
On this course for healthcare professionals, you will explore the latest evidence surrounding the role of nutrition on fertility and pregnancy outcomes. You will focus on two main topics: foods and fertility, and foods and pregnancy.
Foods and fertility will focus on optimising nutrition for fertility and pre-conception, including topics like the effect of food on reproductive health and dietary recommendations to improve fertility. Foods and Pregnancy will explore topics including requirements during pregnancy, and optimising gestational weight gain.
What topics will you cover?
- The link between food and fertility
- The effect of preconception food and diet
- Weight and fertility
- Dietary recommendations to improve ovulation and fertility
- The physiology of pregnancy and nutrient metabolism
- Weight management during pregnancy
- Nutrient requirements during pregnancy
- Food recommendations during pregnancy
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Generate a holistic multi-disciplinary approach to managing women peri-conception and during pregnancy
- Describe the role of pre-conception nutrition in terms of fertility, foetal development and adult health
- Provide evidence based food recommendations to improve ovulation and fertility
- Define dietary recommendations for pregnancy and define strategies for achieving
- Promote optimal nutrition pre-conception and during pregnancy by developing/providing handouts to women interested in having a family/considering conception. (Systems based patient safety learning outcome)
Who is the course for?
Places in this course are limited to 100, so please register early to avoid disappointment.
This course has been designed for healthcare professionals, specifically medical specialists, general practitioners and nurses.
However, the course may be of benefit to healthcare professionals such as dietitians and nutritionists with a background in nutrition, who may like a ‘refresher’ in this area of study.
You should have a good knowledge of science, medicine and healthcare practice.
Accrediting bodies and professional associations who have recognised this course
This course is recognised by:
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF): this online educational activity is endorsed by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) Federal Office. Completion attracts 8 CPD hours.
If you have any questions on the course, its accreditation/endorsement or how it may relate to your professional healthcare practice we encourage you to email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who will you learn with?
Gary is Professor and Head of Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food at Monash University. He is interested in dietary phytochemicals and health.
Nicole is an Accredited Practising Dietitian with experience in clinical dietetics and research. She has a PhD in Nutrition Science and has research interests in diabetes and fertility
Melissa is an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Nutritionist involved in research and teaching at Monash, along with working in private practice. She specialises in nutritional genomics.
Who developed the course?
World rankingTop 60Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Learn best practices from experts
- Learn from the experience of other health professionals
- Fit learning around your schedule with unlimited access
- Get evidence of learning outcomes and CPD hours
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join: