Weekly study3 hours
Film Production: Behind the Scenes of Feature Filmmaking
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Over three weeks, The Production Guild of Great Britain, guided by respected film and television professionals, will demystify the process of making a feature film. You will discover the key stages of how a film gets made and the different types of production.
Want to start working in film production?
We will explore the different departments, and how they interact and work together. We will look at the structure of a film crew - how individual job roles fit into the wider crew - and get to grips with industry jargon and etiquette. Industry professionals, working in key roles on award-winning productions, will talk about their jobs and give practical insights and tips into how the industry works.
Each week, you will have the opportunity to test your own knowledge and understanding via multiple choice quizzes, and post your thoughts and ideas for discussion with your fellow students.
Starting out as a Runner
Anyone with a more specific interest in working in the film industry will gain an understanding of entry-level jobs and potential career progression pathways. You’ll also hear hints and tips for how to get on in the industry and pursue your dream.
Image credit: Far from the Madding Crowd © DNA Films, Fox Searchlight Pictures – contributors to the Creative Skillset Skills Investment Fund
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
Who is the course for?
This course is open to anyone with an interest in feature films, the filmmaking process and the people involved.
This course will be particularly relevant if you have an interest in working in the film industry and want to understand the entry routes available to you.
Who will you learn with?
Hello, I am Training and Development Manager at the Production Guild of Great Britain and an Educator on the course Film Production: Behind the Scenes of Feature Filmmaking
Experienced feature film Line Producer and regular guest lecturer at the Production Guild of Great Britain.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLfilmproduction to talk about this course on social media.