- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $69
Finance Fundamentals: Financial Services after the Banking Crisis
See what’s changed in the financial services industry in the last decade
The financial crisis of the late 2000s transformed the UK financial services industry. This online course takes stock and examines the industry today.
You will review the history of the industry leading up to the financial crisis; examine its institutions and the issues they now grapple with; walk down the financial supermarket aisles and see what’s changing with the products on offer; and find out how the industry is now regulated and protects consumers.
The Open University’s Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance created this course, with the generous support of True Potential LLP.
What topics will you cover?
- The historical development of financial services in the UK
- The 2007/08 financial crisis
- The financial services industry after the financial crisis
- The revisions to the regulation of the industry after the financial crisis
- Financial products and new product offerings for consumers
- The pensions revolution in the UK
- How financial firms are regulated
- How financial product sales are regulated
- How consumers are protected and helped in the financial market place
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the origins and development of the UK financial services industry
- Assess and examine the UK financial services industry and the issues it faces following the 2007/08 financial crisis
- Evaluate and review the financial products available to consumers in the financial marketplace
- Identify and understand how financial services firms and financial product sales are regulated
- Explore the support, advice and guidance available to financial services consumers
Who is the course for?
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM191 Business and Finance Fundamentals in Practice starts October 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all eight Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. Details of runs of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2019 and 2020 are available here.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLBFbanking to talk about this course on social media.