Discover the science of food and understand the value of nutrition in our diets
On this course, you’ll learn how food science and nutrition helps us to understand and study the fascinating world of food.
You’ll explore the food supply chain and learn how food processing can make food healthier.
You’ll examine how new food technologies are revolutionising food production and how new products are developed.
You’ll also explore how nutritional needs vary in different countries and how policies on nutrition are developed.
Through case studies, you’ll understand the importance of micro and macronutrients and explore what happens to food whilst it’s in your body.
What topics will you cover?
- The opportunities and challenges inherent in the modern food supply chain – from farm to fork.
- The importance of food processing and novel food processing techniques, such as 3D printing.
- How food molecules perform different important functions in your body.
- How new food products are developed and optimised to appeal to the target consumer base.
- The importance of nutrition and the impact of different public health initiatives from around the world.
- The health benefits of certain foods.
- The process of digestion and biochemical pathways of food in the body.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for anyone interested in exploring food’s journey from the farm all the way to what happens inside our bodies.
It will be particularly useful for students who want to study food science or nutrition at university.
The course is part of the Going to University collection and completing it can help improve your university application by broadening your understanding of food science and nutrition and developing your independent learning skills.
The course can also be used as a teachers’ classroom enrichment resource.
The material could also be included in biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering classes.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLScienceofFood to talk about this course on social media.