Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $49
Food Science and Nutrition: From the Farm to You
Discover the science of food and understand the value of nutrition in our diets
On this course, you’ll learn how food science and nutrition helps us to understand and study the fascinating world of food.
You’ll explore the food supply chain and learn how food processing can make food healthier.
You’ll examine how new food technologies are revolutionising food production and how new products are developed.
You’ll also explore how nutritional needs vary in different countries and how policies on nutrition are developed.
Through case studies, you’ll understand the importance of micro and macronutrients and explore what happens to food whilst it’s in your body.
- The opportunities and challenges inherent in the modern food supply chain – from farm to fork.
- The importance of food processing and novel food processing techniques, such as 3D printing.
- How food molecules perform different important functions in your body.
- How new food products are developed and optimised to appeal to the target consumer base.
- The importance of nutrition and the impact of different public health initiatives from around the world.
- The health benefits of certain foods.
- The process of digestion and biochemical pathways of food in the body.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the importance of food processing in the journey from farm to fork to understand how crops are converted into nutritious and appealing food items for consumers.
- Evaluate the foundations of nutritional advice provided by governments by applying scientific knowledge about nutrition and considering factors that influence decision-making when it comes to food.
- Analyse the biological pathways of digestion to discover how different nutrients travel and are absorbed by the body.
- Apply New Product Development (NPD) principles to design a new food product that responds to a market need, which can also provide health benefits and appeal to the senses.
Who is the course for?
The course is part of the Going to University collection and completing it can help improve your university application by broadening your understanding of food science and nutrition and developing your independent learning skills.
The course can also be used as a teachers’ classroom enrichment resource.
The material could also be included in biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering classes.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.