Foundations of Writing
Improve your writing skills with ‘JASPER’
From writing emails to meeting notes and reports, there are many work contexts that require basic written communication skills.
On this two-week course, you’ll improve your writing skills using the mnemonic ‘JASPER’ – the six fundamental aspects of clear writing:
- Jargon: how to recognise it in your own writing, and the importance of removing it for effective communication
- Acronyms: the importance of spelling them out
- Short sentences and short paragraphs: conveying meaning in chunks for maximum understanding
- Plain English: avoiding ‘flowery’ and unclear language
- Editors: how to use other people and software tools to review your work
- Readers: the need to keep the reader in mind at all times.
Through practical exercises, you’ll finish the course with a checklist and toolkit to ensure your written communication is clear, concise and effective.
Learn crucial tips to develop your writing skills
You’ll be guided through the writing techniques of ‘JASPER’ to help you improve any written work you produce.
From removing corporate jargon for clarity to breaking down long sentences for readability, you’ll gain a solid understanding of the benefits of clear writing.
Explore editing tools to help you write in plain English
With an understanding of writing techniques, you’ll explore editing tools to help hone your writing skills further.
You’ll discover editing software and web-based apps that will become a crucial part of your writing toolkit.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify common barriers to communication in written texts
- Practise improving short texts
- Discuss the best ways of improving the texts you produce
- Develop your ability to write plain, effective English in a work context
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with a professional need to use written English.
It is suitable for both native and non-native English speakers.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.