Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate French: Discovering Worlds of French
Learn to talk about places and environments from the people who live there
On this four-week course, you’ll meet six people who will guide your learning journey. You’ll start exploring the French-speaking world with Lionel and Peggy who live in la Touraine, the area around the city of Tours in central France. They’ll show you their homes, describe their region and city, talk about their lifestyles, and how these are influenced by their immediate surroundings.
You’ll focus on the language and vocabulary they use to introduce themselves, listening to how they describe places and environments, drawing on what you hear to improve your own use of the language.
Gain the skills to understand and communicate effectively in French
Through a range of insightful videos and audio clips, you’ll become more familiar with features of French pronunciation. You’ll revise several basic language points, including gender, number, and articles, and revisit the use of prepositions of place (à, dans and près de) and the pronoun y. You’ll also recap how to describe a location using the present tense.
Improve your reading and understanding of the French language
This course will give you the opportunity to learn more about the French-speaking regions you are interested in. By reading a variety of source materials in French, you will improve your linguistic skills while also building on your cultural knowledge of France and the French-speaking world.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to understand information about different places, and impress friends, family, and colleagues by speaking or writing about French-speaking regions in more detail, explaining what you think about them.
- Introducing yourself and where you live
- Saying where a place is situated
- Describing places - cities, towns. villages and regions
- Explaining advantages and disadvantages of rural and urban living
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Improve your ability to understand written and spoken French
- Develop your confidence to communicate in French through speech and writing
- Apply and consolidate your understanding of basic French grammar and increase your receptive and productive vocabulary
- Explore and broaden your knowledge of societies and cultures in France and Belgium
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of French (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference ‘Elementary’) who want to improve their French language skills and deepen their knowledge of French culture.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.