- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Leadership Theory: The Basics
Learn the basics of leadership theory
On this leadership course, you will be introduced to the theoretical underpinnings of leadership, different styles of leadership and their respective strengths and weaknesses.
You will have the opportunity to learn the differences between management and leadership and will investigate in detail the ethical issues that surround the issue of leadership.
- The fundamentals of leadership: what is the evolutionary process of leadership theories?
- What are the major conclusions of the trait theories?
- The skills approach to leadership
- What are the major conclusions of the behavioural theories?
- Identifying the major components of the contingency theories
- Transactional and transformational leadership
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Differentiate between leadership and management
- Critically analyse the trait, skills, style and contingency theories of leadership
- Appraise the strengths and weaknesses of the different theories of leadership
- Investigate the different types of leadership and their implications for organisations
Who is the course for?
This course is for experienced professionals looking to understand how a modern business succeeds through leadership, culture, decision-making and change management.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
This course is part of the program Leadership and Change Management, which is one of the building blocks that leads to degrees in Master of Business Administration, Master of Business Administration (Cyber Security Management), Master of Business Administration (Health Care Sector), Master of Business Administration (Artificial Intelligence), Master of Business Administration (Sustainable Tourism), and Master of Business Administration (Marketing).
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #leadershiptheory to talk about this course on social media.