Discover the importance of project planning and management
In this course, you will learn project planning techniques, principles and execution methods to create projects that can be run more effectively and efficiently.
Whether it’s for projects at work or in daily life, you’ll discover the language and frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilising resources, and minimising risks.
You also have the chance to earn professional development units (PDUs) as the University of Virginia Darden School of Business is approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI®).
Find out how to create a project plan
Once you’ve learned about the basics of project planning and management, you’ll explore in more detail how to create a project plan. As well as examining the scoping process, you’ll learn about the project life-cycle, duration, and critical path.
Once you’re finished, you’ll have a solid project planning template that you can use across a whole range of different situations.
Develop your project management skills
If you’ve already taken a project management course, you’ll know that the planning stages are crucial to your ultimate success. By learning how to plan a project, you’ll also cover topics such as risk assessment, budgeting, and prioritisation.
With this course, you’ll learn how to use the right language and mindset to create an effective project management plan.
Equip yourself with project planning tools
With the set of project management skills you’ll develop on this course, you’ll be equipped with the necessary tools to manage all kinds of projects, no matter their size and scope.
When it comes to the project’s execution phase, you’ll also learn about some of the methods you can use to carry out and analyse your plans.
- What a project is, what it is not, and why that matters.
- How projects are defined and a project’s three objectives.
- Models for examining a project’s organization and its stakeholders.
- Reasons why projects fail and how to measure success.
- Key stages in the project life-cycle and the features of each.
- Why we plan and how to develop a project plan.
- Process of scoping.
- Tools that can help us identify what should be included in a project.
- Sequencing project tasks and the nature of dependencies among project activities.
- Determine a project’s duration and critical path.
- Schedule a project and making changes to a plan.
- Identify and assess project risks.
- Prioritize and schedule project risks.
- Setting a project budget.
- Identify methods that can be used in situations with high degree of ambiguity.
- Execution phase of a project.
- Earned value approach for monitoring and controlling progress.
- How habits of individuals executing the project can impact progress.
- Alternative methods for project execution: Agile, Scrum, and Kanban.
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe how to initiate a project by defining the project goal, identifying the priorities, and establishing the organization.
- Explain how to develop a project plan by identifying the scope, task dependencies, schedule, critical path, and risks.
- Identify factors that lead to project success.
- Describe the four stages of the project-life-cycle and the role each stage has in the evolution of a project.
- Explain how to execute a project by monitoring the progress, communicating with stakeholders, and deciding how to correct and control.
- Develop an awareness of some behavioral biases in project settings and identify how these impact the planning and execution of a project.
- Develop the language and mindset for planning and managing projects by properly setting and prioritizing project goals and objectives.
- Identify the most appropriate project management methodology given the project objectives, the degrees of uncertainty, and the constraints.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in project planning and management. If you want to develop planning techniques to ensure your projects run smoothly from start to finish, this is the course for you. You don’t need any prior experience.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #DOprojectplanning to talk about this course on social media.