Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 2 hours
Extra benefits From $74 Find out more
Learn how to ensure your projects run smoothly
Projects are all around us. Virtually every organisation runs projects, either formally or informally. In this course you will learn planning principles and execution methods so your projects can be run more effectively and efficiently at work and in daily life. You’ll discover the language and frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilizing resources, and minimizing risks.
You also have the chance to earn professional development units (PDUs) as the University of Virginia Darden School of Business is approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI®).
What topics will you cover?
- What a project is, what it is not, and why that matters.
- How projects are defined and a project’s three objectives.
- Models for examining a project’s organization and its stakeholders.
- Reasons why projects fail and how to measure success.
- Key stages in the project life-cycle and the features of each.
- Why we plan and how to develop a project plan.
- Process of scoping.
- Tools that can help us identify what should be included in a project.
- Sequencing project tasks and the nature of dependencies among project activities.
- Determine a project’s duration and critical path.
- Schedule a project and making changes to a plan.
- Identify and assess project risks.
- Prioritize and schedule project risks.
- Setting a project budget.
- Identify methods that can be used in situations with high degree of ambiguity.
- Execution phase of a project.
- Earned value approach for monitoring and controlling progress.
- How habits of individuals executing the project can impact progress.
- Alternative methods for project execution: Agile, Scrum, and Kanban.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Available nowThis course started 6 Jan 2020
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in ensuring their projects run smoothly. You don’t need any prior experience.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #DOprojectplanning to talk about this course on social media.