Learn how to become an effective project manager
Project management is key to organisations’ success. Nearly all organisations run projects, either formally or informally.
In this project management course, you will learn the principles of project plans and project delivery, to become an effective project manager at work and in daily life.
You’ll learn language and frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilizing resources, and minimizing risks.
You can also earn professional development units (PDUs) at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business. The School is approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
What topics will you cover?
- What a project is, what it is not, and why that matters.
- How projects are defined and a project’s three objectives.
- Models for examining a project’s organization and its stakeholders.
- Reasons why projects fail and how to measure success.
- Key stages in the project life-cycle and the features of each.
- Why we plan and how to develop a project plan.
- Process of scoping.
- Tools that can help us identify what should be included in a project.
- Sequencing project tasks and the nature of dependencies among project activities.
- Determine a project’s duration and critical path.
- Schedule a project and making changes to a plan.
- Identify and assess project risks.
- Prioritize and schedule project risks.
- Setting a project budget.
- Identify methods that can be used in situations with high degree of ambiguity.
- Execution phase of a project.
- Earned value approach for monitoring and controlling progress.
- How habits of individuals executing the project can impact progress.
- Alternative methods for project execution: Agile, Scrum, and Kanban.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This PMI-certified project management course is for anyone interested in ensuring their projects run smoothly.
Would-be project managers of all levels can benefit from learning the fundamentals of project plans and management.
You don’t need any prior experience.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #DOprojectplanning to talk about this course on social media.