Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $109
Genealogy: Researching Your Family Tree
Discover the basics of genealogy and build your own family tree
Have you ever wondered about your family ancestry or wanted to create a family tree of your own? On this 6-week genealogy course for beginners, you’ll learn how to uncover the past and record your family history.
The information on this course does not apply to just one country, so you can learn about your family lineage no matter where you’re from.
Gain an introduction to genealogy
Learn how to find and analyse sources, discover different research strategies, and tackle genealogy databases and wildcards. You’ll learn about the importance of names and explore the challenges that name changes cause for genealogists.
You’ll be introduced to the main source types including civil, church, census and military records and learn how to use these different kinds of data.
Discover DNA testing
Learn about the more technical sides of genealogical research such as the principles of the Genealogical Proof Standard, where you’ll discover how to establish proof.
You’ll be a scientist for the day and find out how DNA testing works in genealogical research. You’ll learn about the principles of genealogical inheritance, find out how autosomal DNA testing helps genealogists and learn about Y chromosome inheritance.
Create a family tree
Uncover the secrets of your family’s past and turn your genealogy into a tangible family history. You’ll discover the best ways to record your research, document it and protect it so that it lasts for generations to come.
You’ll learn how to balance genealogical data and historical context, delve into local and general histories, and use maps and photographs to bring your family history to life.
Throughout the course, you’ll also follow one woman’s journey as she researches her family tree and learns about her past.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Design a research plan for tracing family history.
- Apply key techniques used when searching for and analysing genealogical records.
- Describe the differences between genealogical source types and why they may cause problems for the researcher.
- Develop an awareness of the use of historic and social context in family history research.
- Develop an understanding of the ways in which genealogical information can be recorded and communicated.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone with an interest in genealogy.
The course will be suitable if you:
- have no experience with genealogy or family history research;
- have some experience with genealogical research but want to develop your skills and knowledge further;
- are a more experienced genealogical researcher but want to learn new searching, analytical or communication techniques or
- find it difficult to access opportunities for training and development.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.