- Duration3 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $54
Global Health Governance: Addressing Globalization and Health Inequities
Learn how global health priorities and problems are addressed
The promotion of global health is central to the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. People-centred health services are needed to respond to health challenges and priorities, but they are lacking in the places and populations that need them the most.
On this course, you will gain a deeper understanding of the global health challenges in the 21st century. You will discover the impact of globalization on the level of health worldwide. You will also look at the role global, national and local governance has to address the current health inequities in the world.
What topics will you cover?
- What is global health?
- Key concepts in global health governance
- The current state of health and well-being in the world today
- The social determinants of health
- Theories of globalization
- Case studies of globalization
- Understanding health inequities
- Responses to contemporary global health case studies
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the ecological definition of health and all of its determinants
- Evaluate the human right to health as reflected in international instruments
- Explain the differences in health and healthcare around the world
- Assess the effects of globalization, both positive and negative
- Summarise the role of national health policies, strategies and plans
- Assess the role of international organizations in global health
- Assess current mechanisms for global health governance
- Assess the role and impact of international development assistance for health
- Assess critically current issues in global health and global health governance
Who is the course for?
This course has been designed for all those interested in global health policies and interventions, whether from a healthcare background or otherwise.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLGlobalHealthGovernance to talk about this course on social media.