Weekly study3 hours
How to Succeed in the Global Workplace
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
This course will help you succeed when you enter the workplace.
Beginning your career or starting a new job brings to mind lots of questions, so we’ve designed a course to guide you through those initial weeks and months so you can make a positive start to your career.
You’ll see videos from employers, giving you insights from around the world into what they look for from their employees. You’ll learn how to communicate across cultures and discover the skills to build and maintain relationships with colleagues, managers and clients.
The course includes articles, discussions and quizzes with tips to help you feel confident.
What topics will you cover?
- Negotiating yourself through the first days in a new job
- How to make a good first impression
- Active listening and clarifying information
- Culture through global, cultural and personal influences
- The elements that make up an organisation’s culture
- Having effective intercultural conversations
- Teamwork as a means of effective working practices
- Building rapport with colleagues
- Showing initiative in the workplace
- Building an effective network
- Developing time management skills
- Developing confidence and resilience
- Developing resilience through flexibility and adaptability
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop an understanding of the communication skills need to effectively present yourself in a professional context
- Develop an awareness of the underlying principles behind communicating effectively across different cultural environments
- Explore the skills needed to build and maintain relationships in a professional context
- Develop the ability to manage yourself in the modern workplace
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone starting work, returning to work, or thinking ahead to the start of their career. It will be of particular interest to those in the early stages of their career, or those who are out of practice and need to update their skills.
What software or tools do you need?
The course is aimed at native and non-native English speakers at around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR) or above.
What do people say about this course?
Who will you learn with?
I am a qualified Intercultural Fluency and Diversity Trainer with 15 years of experience. I have designed and delivered more than 5500 hours of interactive trainings for different clients.
Manages the Information Team, responsible for developing the Careers Service website and creating interactive resources. Also responsible for providing an information service to our users.
Hi. My name's Rich and I am a training consultant at the British Council Professional Development Centre in Singapore. I have taught, trained and managed all over the world.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLglobalworkplace to talk about this course on social media.