Weekly study3 hours
How to Succeed in the Global Workplace
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
This course will help you succeed when you enter the workplace.
Beginning your career or starting a new job brings to mind lots of questions, so we’ve designed a course to guide you through those initial weeks and months so you can make a positive start to your career.
You’ll see videos from employers, giving you insights from around the world into what they look for from their employees. You’ll learn how to communicate across cultures and discover the skills to build and maintain relationships with colleagues, managers and clients.
The course includes articles, discussions and quizzes with tips to help you feel confident.
- Negotiating yourself through the first days in a new job
- How to make a good first impression
- Active listening and clarifying information
- Culture through global, cultural and personal influences
- The elements that make up an organisation’s culture
- Having effective intercultural conversations
- Teamwork as a means of effective working practices
- Building rapport with colleagues
- Showing initiative in the workplace
- Building an effective network
- Developing time management skills
- Developing confidence and resilience
- Developing resilience through flexibility and adaptability
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop an understanding of the communication skills need to effectively present yourself in a professional context
- Develop an awareness of the underlying principles behind communicating effectively across different cultural environments
- Explore the skills needed to build and maintain relationships in a professional context
- Develop the ability to manage yourself in the modern workplace
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone starting work, returning to work, or thinking ahead to the start of their career. It will be of particular interest to those in the early stages of their career, or those who are out of practice and need to update their skills.
What software or tools do you need?
The course is aimed at native and non-native English speakers at around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR) or above.