Welcome to the course
The Hans Christian Andersen Centre at the University of Southern Denmark welcomes you to this course, Hans Christian Andersen’s Fairy Tales.
The course is aimed at everybody who wishes to study the universe of Hans Christian Andersen, beginners as well as teachers and scholars. The course may also help those who are preparing for further studies in literature, as it gives a good foundation for analysing texts. If you are already at degree level in literature, this course could be a good supplement to your studies. Ultimately though, this course is suitable for anyone who loves fairy tales.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the life and works of the writer Hans Christian Andersen.
- Describe the fairy tale genre.
- Apply relevant models to the analysis of fairy tales.
- Interpret fairy tales and uncover themes and meanings.
- Discuss and compare different analyses and interpretations of fairy tales.
- Explain the themes embedded in Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales.
- Reflect on and discuss Hans Christian Andersen’s contemporary and cross-cultural relevance.
© The Hans Christian Andersen Centre