What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to Hans Christian Andersen, his life, works and contemporary society.
- Introduction to the fairy tale genre and the folk tale inspiration.
- Models for analysis of folk tales and fairy tales: the actantial model and the home-away-home model.
- Analysis and comparison of a folk tale ‘The Blue Light’ and a fairy tale Hans Christian Andersen’s ‘The Tinderbox’.
- Hans Christian Andersen’s experimental rewritings of folk tales with the folk tale ‘The Riddle’ and Hans Christian Andersen’s ‘The Spectre’ and The Travelling Companion’.
- Biblical themes in Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales.
- An original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale – ‘The Little Mermaid’.
- Hans Christian Andersen’s new fairy tales with ‘The Snow Queen’ and ‘The Story of a Mother’.
- Hans Christian Andersen’s recycling of the folk tale with ‘The Red Shoes.
- Hans Christian Andersen’s contemporary and cross-cultural relevance.
- How to engage in further studies of Hans Christian Andersen.
Buy a personalised, digital and printed certificate and transcript
Certificate of Achievement + transcript £39.00
Statement of Participation £34.00
Charges to your account will be made in GBP. Prices in local currency are provided as a convenience and are only an estimate based on current exchange rates.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLfairytales to talk about this course on social media.