Weekly study3 hours
Heart Health: A Beginner's Guide to Cardiovascular Disease
Understand cardiovascular disease and learn how to keep your heart healthy
Your heart beats around 100,000 times a day, pumping blood around your body to deliver oxygen and nutrients, while taking away waste products. When your heart is unhealthy, it can’t perform this vital task so effectively.
This course will improve your knowledge of how the heart works, the causes of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure and heart failure and what you can do to avoid them.
You’ll cover both theory and practical aspects of heart health, learning from lab demonstrations and practical activities so you better understand your own heart.
Hear from our course team
You can take this course at any time. However, if you’d like to engage with the course team, our educators/mentors will be joining the course discussions during the following dates:
14 March 2022 – 10 April 2022
19 Sept 2022 - 16 Oct 2022
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the structure and function of the cardiovascular system, including the circulatory system and heart
- Describe the basis of several cardiovascular diseases including heart attacks, strokes, hypertension and heart failure
- Evaluate the various risk factors that can contribute towards increasing a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease
- Discuss some of the lifestyle choices that we can make to try and reduce our risk of cardiovascular disease
- Apply theoretical knowledge and investigate a topic through practical activities
- Investigate and process data
- Investigate a topic and evaluate the reliability of your sources
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in how the heart works and the diseases that commonly affect it. It will help if you have a basic understanding of human biology, but we’ll explain things in a way that will be easy for those who are unfamiliar with the subject. If you get stuck, you can always ask questions in the comments and other learners may be able to help you.
Healthcare practitioners may also enjoy this as a gentle refresher or resource to share with patients.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.