Skip to 0 minutes and 9 seconds Would you like to learn more about Hispanic culture through film, such as the works of Luis Bunuel, Pedro Almodovar, and Guillermo del Toro? Then take a look at this.
Weekly study4 hours
Hispanic Culture Through Film
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Explore Hispanic culture through three iconic film directors
This online course will explore Hispanic culture through the work of three iconic Hispanic film directors: Luis Buñuel, Pedro Almodóvar and Guillermo del Toro.
Each week, we will look at a different Hispanic director and you’ll discover why so many people like their work. You’ll train your eyes and ears, evaluating photography, movement, color, acting and story, helping you to enjoy all types of film.
You’ll also learn to recognize and interpret cultural and ideological messages in film, and talk about the ways that Hispanic culture in film differs from your own.
- Recognize Luis Buñuel and his contributions to film and culture.
- Learn to analyze basic concepts of photography and mise en scène,
- Describe the photography and mise en scène to Buñuel films.
- Recognize Pedro Almodóvar and why he is important.
- Learn to recognize sexual politics, camp, and Kitsch on film & Identify them in the films of Almodóvar
- Recognize Guillermo del Toro and why he is important
- Learn basics about movement and editing
- Be able to analyze films of del Toro through movement and editing
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain why Almodóvar, Buñuel, and del Toro have achieved prominence
- Describe the mise en scène of a film
- Compare and describe how photography, movement and color are used to make meaning in various films
- Evaluate acting, story, and ideology in a given film
- Recognize and talk about ways the cultures in the films are different from their own.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone who can understand English, and is interested in Hispanic culture and film. No prior experience or qualifications are necessary.