Learn more about processing technologies and the foods that are affected
Please note this course runs without facilitation
Food processing isn’t a new concept, however, many people might not understand how and why it happens. On this course, you will improve your knowledge of food processing technologies and build confidence in the processed foods on the market.
You will cover the history of food processing, from its origins to current modern industrial processes. You will explore the advantages and disadvantages of food processing technologies and understand their impact on health, safety, quality, and sustainability. Upon competing this course, you will feel empowered to make more informed decisions about the food you eat.
(Please note that the term ‘food processing’ is also often used to describe the formulation of food products and the addition of extra ingredients such as preservatives, stabilizers, fortifiers and flavourings. This course focuses on the technologies rather than the formulation.)
What topics will you cover?
- The history of food processing – why it emerged and why it is important
- Examples of both traditional and innovative food processing technologies and the products they affect
- Consideration of the advantages and disadvantages of specific food processing technologies, their impact on health, safety, quality and sustainability
- How EU law keeps the consumer safe and healthy and food on the supermarket shelves
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the principles of food processing and gain an understanding of both traditional and modern industrial techniques
- Justify the importance of food processing to society in terms of health, safety, quality and sustainability
- Engage with the debate on how beneficial certain processing techniques are to human health
- Evaluate EU law and regulations
- Reflect on the challenges of feeding growing populations safely and sustainably
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in learning more about the food they eat.
The Educator team won’t be available to answer questions or respond to your comments during this course. However, we encourage you to interact and support each other by posting your thoughts and comments and sharing your knowledge with other learners
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLHowFoodisMade to talk about this course on social media.