Weekly study2 hours
Ideas for a Better World: Leading Change Through Policymaking
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Become a leader and start making a difference in the world through policymaking
Policy change can affect billions of lives. What if you could create policies to enhance societies, transform lives and change the impact we have on the world? On this course supported by the Møller Institute at Churchill College, University of Cambridge, you will build knowledge and awareness about policymaking and leadership.
You will learn from global policy experts and hear innovative perspectives from policy leaders creating change all around the world. Listen to guest speakers from the United Nations, UK House of Lords, and The Elders, and learn to create your own policy action plan.
Turning passion into policy
- What is policy?
- Who makes policy change?
- How to use passion and purpose
- Your role in making policy change
Learning from experts
- Hearing from experts, world leaders and young people who have made change in the world
Insight and evidence
- Evidence in policymaking
- How to use evidence
- Different kinds of evidence
- Policy creation processes
Collaborating and influencing
- Policy making tactics
- “Policy windows” and the best time to take action
- What are stakeholders?
- How to understand and influence others to make change
- Communication and influence
- How to define and communicate your “vision” for change
Creating your policy action plan
- Actions, tools and tactics to help you plan your policy
- How to achieve long-term impact
- Key things to consider as you are planning your path to change
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the passion which drives your ambition to shape policy change
- Reflect on how your policy idea ties in to your wider purpose
- Explore what policy is and how it can lead to change in wider society
- Assess the importance of different types of evidence in creating policy
- Identify who your stakeholders are and learn how to influence them effectively
- Develop your confidence and skills around policy leadership
- Design an action plan that will set your policy idea in motion
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at people who see themselves as future leaders in the field of policymaking.
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.