Weekly study3 hours
The Importance of Project Management in the Global Construction Industry
Evaluate the key principles and strategies of construction project management
This course is designed to provide you with a broad overview of the make-up of a project and the fundamental activities that take place in construction project management.
You will explore the life cycle of a project and the key activities within each phase. You will investigate the key steps in defining a project, including setting objectives, determining scope, identifying stakeholders and clarifying strategies.
As part of this course, you will examine the increasingly critical role of project management within construction, focusing on various international case studies.
• A brief overview of what a project is, how a project is classified and its importance in the construction industry.
• An overview of three project parameters in a construction project and their importance.
• A brief overview of PM definitions, their importance in the construction industry and how to identify the key actors involved in construction PM.
• A brief overview of the PM methodologies – PRINCE, PROMPT, PMBoK and CCPM – their characteristics and importance in global construction projects.
• An overview of the five key stages of the project life cycle in construction – initiating, planning, executing, monitoring/controlling and the closing processes – their characteristics and how each stage is formulated.
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the definitions of a project and discover how a project is classified and the importance of projects in construction
- Evaluate the three project parameters in a construction project and their importance
- Evaluate the definition of project management in construction, the processes of project management and its relevance in a global construction context
- Assess the importance of project management in the global construction context
- Interpret and evaluate the project management methodologies in global construction projects and their importance
- Identify the key stages in the construction project life-cycle and their characteristics
- Explore the importance of each key stage in a project life cycle in construction and how each stage is formulated
Who is the course for?
This course is for people working in or studying the built environment. This might be students, recent graduates or construction professionals engaged in construction cost and project management, civil and structural engineering, architectural technology, surveying and building services engineering.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Advance your career with a degree
Apply core concepts and techniques in project management and develop an enhanced awareness of managing project resources, finances, risks, people and organisational change.