- Duration8 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Extra BenefitsFrom $79
Instructional Methods in Health Professions Education
Learn instructional design and teaching strategies to enhance teaching practice
This interactive course, led by experts at the University of Michigan, offers you the opportunity to build in-demand skills in healthcare teaching.
You’ll learn through educational videos, readings, recommended reference books, crowd-sourced recommendations, and discussion with the course educators and other learners.
Develop your knowledge of adult learning theory
Teaching adults requires specific teaching techniques and health professions education demands a thorough understanding of educational theory.
You’ll build your knowledge of educational theory as it relates to education in the health professions and better understand the diverse learning styles and motivations of adult learners.
Upskill in instructional and assessment design
As well as enhancing your teaching methods, this course will teach you how to design lessons that encourage active learning and skill development in a diverse range of healthcare areas environments, including using strategies like clinical reasoning, simulation, and teaching with data, and supportive questioning.
You’ll learn how to set intended educational outcomes, exploring evidence-based frameworks including Bloom’s Taxonomy, Miller’s pyramid and clinical competence, and Dryfus’ Dreyfus’ model of skill acquisition
Learn how to reflect on and improve your teaching methods
The course will also encourage you to incorporate reflection and feedback into your work so that you can iterate on your instructional techniques.
You’ll even build your skills in teaching with technology, as you explore synchronous versus asynchronous online teaching formats and how to share clinical simulations online.
- Adult learning theory, including learning styles and motivation, metacognition, social learning theory, and professional identity formation.
- Formulating Intended Learning Outcomes, including Bloom’s Taxonomy, Miller’s pyramid and clinical competence, and Dryfus’ model of skill acquisition.
- Instructional design and individual assessment, including multiple-choice question writing, skill assessment, oral presentation, and rubrics and standardization.
- Knowledge transfer, including active learning in large lecture formats, supportive questioning, and “Big Ticket” technique.
- Skill development, including simulation, teaching with data, and clinical reasoning.
- Attitudes in instructional techniques, including reflection, feedback, and incorporating art, music, and theatre.
- Teaching with technology, including large lecture format, synchronous versus asynchronous formats, and high fidelity clinical simulations.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarize educational theory as it relates to health professions education
- Design instructional methods to achieve desired educational outcomes
- Assess a variety of applied teaching techniques
- Collaborate and share successful teaching strategies
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone actively engaged in a health professions setting such as medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, social work, and public health. It will be particularly useful for those involved in medical education and teaching members of the health professions.
Many of the concepts explored can also be applied more broadly to adult education.
Who developed the course?
As the #1 public research university in the United States, U-M has been a leader in research, learning, and teaching for more than 200 years, with 102 Grad programs in the top 10 — U.S. News & World Report (2019).
- LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan, USA
- World rankingTop 30Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get: