Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate French: Leisure and Culture
Explore culture and leisure activities in France and Belgium
On this four-week course, you’ll review structures for talking about leisure time, likes and dislikes, and extend your ability to express your ideas with reasons and reactions.
Improve your French pronunciation and grammar
Listening to authentic French speakers share more about their favourite leisure pursuits, you’ll develop your speaking and pronunciation, practising intonation so you can add feeling and emotion to what you say.
You’ll learn to use conditional verb forms and the present participle to talk about what you would do if you had more free time, and work on the pronunciation of nasal vowels.
Discover French literature, architecture, comic books, and film
You’ll learn about the role of literature in French life and take a virtual trip to Brussels to discover the importance of architecture, taking in some of the buildings that make up the fabric of the city. You’ll also examine the comic book culture, bande dessinée, and explore how this has created a community.
Finally, you’ll learn about the importance of film to French cultural life. You’ll write your own film synopsis based on four contemporary French films that you’ll have the opportunity to examine.
With opportunities to develop your speaking and writing skills alongside your co-learners, you’ll finish this course having developed your language skills to understand authentic French, being able to talk about leisure and culture, and explaining your preferences.
- Discovering how French and Belgian people spend their free time
- Expressing feelings and emotions
- Using conditional verb forms to express hypotheses
- Different aspects of Belgian culture
- Using films to enhance your language learning
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop your ability to understand written and spoken French
- Increase your ability to communicate in French through speech and writing
- Consolidate your understanding of areas of French grammar
- Increase your receptive and productive French vocabulary
- Develop your awareness of leisure activities and cultural life in France and Belgium
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who are at Level A2, working towards Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Learners should feel confident to use the language in most situations likely to arise while travelling in French-speaking countries.
The OU’s language ExpertTracks are designed to help you progress with each one you study.
Learners would benefit from having completed Intermediate French: La Francophonie (People, Places and Events) before taking this ExpertTrack.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends