Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate Spanish: Leisure in Spanish-Speaking Countries
Examine aspects of popular culture and leisure within Spanish-speaking contexts
This four-week course will introduce you to some of the contemporary aspects of leisure and culture in the Spanish-speaking worlds, such as popular activities, television programmes, newspapers, sport and gastronomy.
You’ll draw on your existing vocabulary and develop new ways to describe your leisure preferences and those of your co-learners. Using real life case studies, you’ll examine and reflect on leisure time in Spanish-speaking cultures.
You’ll develop skills to express your feelings and emotions and explore ways of describing your personality and free time activities.
Discover Spanish gastronomy
Enjoying locally produced food is one of the most popular pastimes of locals and tourists across Spanish-speaking countries. On this course, you’ll broaden your knowledge of the varied gastronomy of Spain and Latin American countries. Furthermore, you’ll discover the importance of the food industry and ‘produce landmarks’ in the Worlds of Spanish.
Explore popular recreational activities
You’ll expand your language skills to be able to talk about games and sports in Spanish-speaking countries, such as pádel, basketball, and football.
You’ll gain confidence by discussing popular sports in your own country and the sports that you like the most with other learners on the course.
Understand the influence of the media in Spanish-speaking countries
You’ll develop your skills to be able to talk about the mass media in Spanish, focusing on aspects of the press, radio, and television programmes and discuss why this sort of media is still growing in popularity.
By the end, you’ll have the confidence to use your language skills to hold informed conversations in Spanish-speaking countries, impressing others with your knowledge of leisure and cultural activities.
- Leisure and culture-related options in cities
- Radio and television programmes in Spanish
- The use of language in the media and in the portrayal of other cultures
- Leisure activities you and others like doing in your own free time
- Cuisine in Spain and Latin American countries, including food products and their use in popular recipes
- Speciality produce from the Worlds of Spanish
- New grammar structures and vocabulary related to the topics discussed
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop your ability to apply new written and spoken language skills in Spanish
- Apply your understanding of areas of Spanish grammar
- Develop your receptive and productive Spanish vocabulary
- Explore contemporary leisure activities and cultural life in Spain and Latin American countries
- Develop your ability to engage and discuss the range of cultural and leisure activities in Spain and Latin American countries
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those who are at Level A2, working towards Level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Learners should feel confident to use the language in most situations likely to arise while travelling in the worlds of Spanish.
The OU’s language ExpertTracks are designed to help you progress with each one you study. It’s suggested you work through them in order to effectively develop your language skills.
Learners would benefit from having completed Intermediate Spanish: People and Places before taking this ExpertTrack.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends