Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Intermediate Spanish: Places and Travel
Hone your language skills on a journey through the Spanish speaking world
On this four-week course from The Open University, you’ll discover the geographical diversity of the Worlds of Spanish and explore their fascinating landscapes.
You’ll learn to describe places, including locations, main features, climate, their environmental surroundings, atmosphere, and social traits. You’ll be encouraged to apply your newly learnt knowledge to share a description of your favourite place with other learners, friends, and family.
Discover what makes places unique
You’ll analyse the distinctive characteristics that define how we perceive different cities and urban life across the Worlds of Spanish and draw comparisons between them. You’ll also consider different elements of their infrastructure, like transport networks and sustainability.
Using linguistic structures like the relative superlative, you’ll be able to express why you think cities excel and share your thoughts about them using appropriate verbs.
Explore the influence of economic migration on the Spanish language
Rural-urban migration continues to mark the rapid growth of cities and gradual depopulation of rural areas especially in Spain and Latin America. You’ll be able to interpret facts and figures in Spanish using percentages, indefinite pronouns, and collective nouns to help you understand the evolution of rural-urban migration and current economic trends and initiatives.
Plan your future adventures
After learning about the geographic diversity of the Worlds of Spanish, you’ll be ready to explore different options for a travel adventure of your choice.
You’ll have the skills to consider where you’d like to visit, and research and share your plans using the future tense, prepositions of place, and the structures you learnt throughout this course.
- The geographical diversity of the Worlds of Spanish
- Urban landscapes and infrastructure
- Rural–urban migration
- Talking about travelling and making plans
- New grammar structures and vocabulary related to the topics discussed
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply knowledge and understanding of different countries and cultures in the Worlds of Spanish to discuss issues of tourism and migration
- Produce spoken and written Spanish communication, describing geographical locations, climates and peoples, drawing comparisons between cities and expressing likes and dislikes
- Explain facts and figures and summarise conclusions
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of Spanish (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference), who would like to improve their competence in the language and deepen their understanding of different cultures.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends