This course is part of the Intermediate Spanish: People and Places ExpertTrack
Intermediate Spanish: The Worlds of Spanish
Develop your Spanish language skills and gain an introduction to the Worlds of Spanish.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Intermediate Spanish: The Worlds of Spanish
Sharpen your Spanish and interact with confidence
This four-week course will introduce you to the rich diversity of the Spanish language, contemporary cultures, and geographies. You’ll gain an overview of key linguistic aspects and be able to engage and use them confidently.
Drawing on the vocabulary and structures you learnt as a beginner, you’ll discover a variety of new ways to introduce yourself and how to share details about yourself and your cultural background. You’ll also discuss different formalities in the way you address people in Spanish, which will help you respond appropriately in different settings and scenarios.
You’ll find out how to express your personal wishes, ambitions, and expectations to others. From the very start, you’ll be able to put your new knowledge into practice by sharing and interacting with other learners.
Explore the cultural and linguistic diversity of the Spanish language
Through engaging and insightful videos, audios, articles, and activities, you’ll develop a deeper understanding of the diversity of Spanish and Latin American cultures, languages, and geographies.
You’ll discover the answers to questions like which countries have Spanish as their official language and what other co-official languages there are in those countries. You’ll also be able to express facts about yourself, such as what it’s like where you live.
Learn how to express family life and relationships
Through this course, you’ll explore aspects of modern-day families and relationships and learn ways to describe your own relationships. You’ll make use of vocabulary you already know while also learning new ways to describe your friends and family and express things you do on a regular basis.
What topics will you cover?
- Studying language in context: looking at the many uses and forms of Spanish language in the world
- Identifying levels of formality
- Diversity and interculturality in the worlds of Spanish
- Describing social structures and modern families
- Expressing habitual actions
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss cultural, linguistic and social topics in the Worlds of Spanish
- Reflect on the diversity of Spanish language
- Apply new language skills and practise using new grammar structures
- Describe people and places, experiences and events
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those with a good basic knowledge of Spanish (fully at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference), who would like to improve their competence in the language and deepen their understanding of different cultures.
Who will you learn with?
With a strong background in Gender and Latin American Studies, Soledad works at the intersections of language, creativity and community engagement with multilingual communities in the UK.
Ms Eva Estrany MA DPSI is an Associate Lecturer at the Open University and a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists. She has been designing and teaching Spanish courses for over twenty years.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn