Why join the course?
Understand online security and protect your digital life, whether at home or work.
Guided by Cory Doctorow, you’ll learn how to recognise threats that could harm you online and take steps to reduce the chances that they happen to you.
You’ll frame your online safety in the context of the wider world, introducing concepts like malware, viruses, trojans, network security, cryptography, identity theft and risk management.
For a more in-depth view of the world of cyber security, take a look at The Open University’s Cyber Security Operations microcredential, endorsed by Cisco Networking Academy.
What topics will you cover?
- Threat landscape: terminology, cyber security threats, keeping up to date
- Authentication: access control, passwords, two-factor authentication
- Malware: types of malware, attack vectors, preventing infection
- Networking and communications: fundamentals, security challenges, standards
- Cryptography: symmetric and asymmetric cryptography, applications
- Network security: firewalls, virtual private networks, intrusion detection / prevention
- When your defences fail: cyber security laws, recovering from attacks
- Managing security risks: risk analysis and management
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Available nowThis course started 6 Jan 2020
Who is the course for?
The course was supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited.
It does not assume any prior knowledge of computer security and can be enjoyed by anyone interested in improving the security of their digital information.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLcybersec to talk about this course on social media.