- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Employee Engagement and Motivation: An Introduction
Learn what affects employee engagement and motivation
What do engaged and motivated employees look like? And what about disengaged and demotivated employees?
Get answers on this course about employee engagement, where you will start by considering existing definitions of engagement and motivation. You will gain insight into the key factors linked to motivation and engagement, and question the causes of employee demotivation and disengagement – whether it is the job itself or individual personality traits.
You will also examine the differences between face-to-face and virtual teams by considering communication and trust.
• The definitions of the concepts of motivation and engagement at work
• The key factors (both internal and external) that lead to employee motivation and engagement
• The role of job design (eg the job characteristics model) in relation to motivation and engagement
• The relationship between personality traits and employee engagement and motivation
• The difference between face-to-face and virtual teams’ motivation and engagement levels, which will allow you to discuss communication and trust
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the definitions of motivation and engagement at work
- Explore the key factors that are associated with motivation and engagement
- Evaluate the key role of job design to employee engagement and motivation
- Assess the role of personality traits in relation to motivation and engagement
- Describe how motivation and engagement is different between face-to-face and virtual teams by discussing the quality and quantity of communication and trust
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to gain a better understanding of engagement and motivation in the workplace. It’s suitable for professional development.
The course is also part of the MSc Business and Organisational Psychology, accredited by the Association for Business Psychology.
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #employeeengagementandmotivation to talk about this course on social media.