Welcome to week two
Welcome to week two of Introduction to Indie Games.
Last week you learned about the characteristics of the indie games and we met some game creators. You learned about the principles of game development and delved into funding options. This week you will further develop your knowledge by reading articles, watching videos featuring our experts and discussing the topics with your fellow learners.
You will tackle how to pitch game ideas and will be encouraged to put together a sample pitch throughout the week, receiving feedback on your own ideas and giving feedback to others about their ideas. In this second week, you will also explore the skills required to work in the games industry and we will hear from our practitioners about their career pathways and useful advice for pursuing a role within this field. This week, we will also look ahead to the future of indie games and touch on what we might expect to see over the next few years.
Finally, you will take some time to think about your own interest and motivation in this space.
Here’s a reminder of what you will come away with at the completion of this course:
- Describe the characteristics and definitions of an indie game
- Summarise the process of making a game and understand the elements needed to create a game pitch
- Compare different indie games and gain an understanding of different styles of gameplay
- Explain the various funding models that can be used to finance an indie game project
- Identify the skills required to work in game design or game development
So, let’s dive into week two.