Weekly study4 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 3
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Introduction to Social Care: Working in Social Care
Explore the skills, challenges and benefits involved in a career in social care
What’s it like to work in social care and what makes a good social care worker?
If you’re considering a career in social care, this four-week course from The Open University will help you understand what it’s like to be a paid social care worker.
Grow your knowledge through first-hand accounts of social care workers
Through engaging real-world examples, you’ll learn what social care workers do, the settings they work in, and the people they support, including, but not limited to, individuals with disabilities and long-term conditions, children and young people, and those in later life. You’ll learn about the principles that guide their practice, the skills required, and some of the issues they face.
Develop essential communication and empathy skills to become a great social care worker
You’ll explore person-centred practice and develop an understanding of the core communication skills for social care work, including active listening and empathy. You’ll look at the nature of risk in social care contexts and discover how to keep service users safe, including how to raise concerns. You’ll also learn about how social care workers can work safely, including the importance of maintaining professional boundaries.
Learn from experts in social care at The Open University
By the end of this course, you will have a better idea of what it takes to work in the social care sector, including the essential skills and values, the principles underpinning safe practice, career pathways and training and development opportunities to support your next steps.
You’ll learn from experts at The Open University, who have delivered learning for the health and social care sector, working with employers, including the NHS, social services, and the voluntary sector for over 30 years.
- What do social care workers do?
- Who uses social care workers’ services?
- The essential communication skills for social care workers
- The practice of person-centred care
- The principles underpinning safeguarding and professional boundaries
- Career development opportunities in social care
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the role of social care workers, and the skills, knowledge and values needed to work in the sector
- Apply essential communication skills for social care workers and implement person-centred practice
- Identify the principles underpinning safe practice
- Explore ways of developing a career in social care and further your knowledge in social care
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in learning about social care. You don’t need any prior knowledge of social care to join. It will benefit:
- Anyone new to social care or those with a basic understanding who want to learn more
- Those considering working in social care who want to know more
- Social care service users, informal unpaid carers, or those who want to find out how to support others in our care system
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends