Ensure your investments are effective and match your risk-return appetite
Research shows that UK households are poor at investment management, with a limited understanding of choices, risks and returns. This could mean that many people cannot afford to retire in future.
This online course will give you the tools to avoid this nightmare. You will study investment choices, and the risks and returns of each; investment strategies and your risk-return appetite; and behaviours that can impair effective investment decisions.
The Open University’s Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance created this course, with the generous support of True Potential LLP.
What topics will you cover?
- Investment planning and decision-making
- Savings and investment products
- Investment risks
- Investment theories – diversification, portfolio theory, capital-asset pricing model
- Investment theories – efficient market hypothesis, random walk theory, chartism
- Investment in practice – methods employed by fund managers
- Historical analysis of investment returns
- Historical investment episodes and what we learn from them
- Individual human behavioural biases and investment decision-making
- Group human behavioural biases and investment decision-making
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM191 Business and Finance Fundamentals in Practice starts October 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all eight Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. Details of runs of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2019 and 2020 are available here.
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLBFinvestment to talk about this course on social media.