Learn Irish and be inspired by the rich culture of Ireland
On this course, you’ll develop your knowledge of the Irish language and explore the many facets of Ireland’s culture.
The course is set at an elementary level and, by the end of the course, you should feel more confident speaking and understanding Irish grammar at a more intermediate level.
The course covers subjects such as health and feelings, food and drink, sport, and music.
You’ll also explore relevant aspects of Irish culture that are woven into the language in order to understand the language and country at a deeper level.
What topics will you cover?
- The Person, describing the person in Irish, such the body, health and personal traits and feelings.
- Food & Drink, describing different types of food and drink, how to order food and book a table in a restaurant.
- Sport, discussing different types of sports and one’s opinions
- Music, describing and discussing different types of music and opinions regarding music.
- Aspects of Irish grammar.
- Cultural elements woven through the language.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss languages and language-learning in Irish.
- Compare and discuss different television and radio shows and describe one’s opinions regarding this.
- Describe different books and share opinions regarding literature in Irish.
- Describe and talk about the future and plan for upcoming events in Irish.
- Engage with pieces of spoken and written Irish based on the themes of the course.
- Compose short written tasks using set phrases relating to specific topics covered in the course.
- Explain and express orally information and opinions in Irish relating to the themes of the course.
- Demonstrate and learn different aspects of Irish grammar in context.
- Engage with elements of Irish culture and mythology through storytelling, music, literature and song.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for adult elementary Irish language learners looking to work towards intermediate level.
This may include the Irish diaspora, international Irish language and cultural enthusiasts, indigenous learners of the language who wish to learn the language from scratch again and anyone who wants to learn the basics of Irish and the culture associated with it.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: