Understand what makes a leader and the effects of leadership on a workplace
Defining leadership can be difficult. Leadership is a multidimensional construct that many theorists have dedicated their time to defining.
On this course, you will explore some of these theories - learning what leadership is and how good and bad leadership can affect a business and its employees. You will consider different leadership models to help clarify the universal components of leadership and how these components differ to management.
What topics will you cover?
- Definition of leadership
- Understanding of the ambiguity in its definition
- Trait, behavioural, and contingency/situational models of leadership (e.g. Blake and Moulton 1964)
- Differentiate the roles and effects of managers versus leaders
- Introduce the effect of leaders on individual and organisational performance
- Good versus bad leadership’s similarities and differences
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the definition of leadership and identify its components
- Assess trait, behavioural and contingency/situational leadership theories
- Explain how leaders are recognised and how they differ from managers
- Identify bad vs good leaders and measure similarities and differences
- Apply the concept of a 'good' leader to a workplace setting
Who is the course for?
This course is for people looking for an enhanced understanding of leadership, its role and effects.
Please note that the staff described in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below may be subject to change.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!