Develop a business plan and build an effective team
Developing plans – and building, supporting, growing and improving teams to deliver them – is a key part of management and leadership. This online course will show you how.
It has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB – and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – the leading authority on management and leadership in the UK.
As such, it will give you the opportunity to learn from both academic experts and experienced practitioners, who have achieved the CMI’s prestigious Chartered Manager status.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1 - It’s all about your stakeholders
- Review of stakeholders’ needs
- Stakeholders and change
- Influencing and communicating
Week 2 - Planning your business case for change
- What makes an effective business plan?
- Making your case for change
- Getting support for your change
Week 3 - Building your team
- Preparing for recruitment
- The process of selection
- Shortlisting and interviewing
Week 4 - Managing your team
- Induction and socialisation
- Managing individual performance and team welfare
- Engaging and motivating your team
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop a business plan which meets stakeholder needs, including resources required
- Explain what is essential in producing a good business plan
- Identify what is involved in recruiting and building an effective team including team welfare
- Discuss approaches to managing poor performance and supporting performance improvement
- Develop and draw up an action plan to support their own personal development
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award as part of the Management and Leadership, Essentials program. If you also complete and pass the Management and Leadership, Personal Development program, you’ll earn another CMI Level 5 Award. Together, these two awards will give you a CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership – the next step to Chartered Manager status.
Please note, the deadline for registration on the CMI final assessment courses is 31 August 2020.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLmanager19 to talk about this course on social media.