Weekly study3 hours
Management and Leadership: Leading a Team
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Develop a business plan and build an effective team
Developing plans – and building, supporting, growing and improving teams to deliver them – is a key part of management and leadership. This online course will show you how.
It has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB – and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) – the leading authority on management and leadership in the UK.
As such, it will give you the opportunity to learn from both academic experts and experienced practitioners, who have achieved the CMI’s prestigious Chartered Manager status.
Week 1 - It’s all about your stakeholders
- Review of stakeholders’ needs
- Stakeholders and change
- Influencing and communicating
Week 2 - Planning your business case for change
- What makes an effective business plan?
- Making your case for change
- Getting support for your change
Week 3 - Building your team
- Preparing for recruitment
- The process of selection
- Shortlisting and interviewing
Week 4 - Managing your team
- Induction and socialisation
- Managing individual performance and team welfare
- Engaging and motivating your team
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Develop a business plan which meets stakeholder needs, including resources required
- Explain what is essential in producing a good business plan
- Identify what is involved in recruiting and building an effective team including team welfare
- Discuss approaches to managing poor performance and supporting performance improvement
- Develop and draw up an action plan to support their own personal development
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award as part of the Management and Leadership, Essentials program. If you also complete and pass the Management and Leadership, Personal Development program, you’ll earn another CMI Level 5 Award. Together, these two awards will give you a CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership – the next step to Chartered Manager status.
We’ve extended the final assessment date
Due to demand we have extended the final assessment registration date until 28th February 2021. We’re working to extend this further and will update this page as soon as this is confirmed.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Endorsers and supporters
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.