Expectations of you as a learner
You have all joined the course for different reasons. Whether you already work in higher education, are a curious teacher or studying as a life-long learner, there is something in this course for you.
How to navigate the course activities
There are different types of activities each week in which you can engage. Activities are labelled:
Talking Points: are targeted questions which focus on the topics covered in that Step or Week. Engaging in discussion with other help you to gain a deeper learning experience through sharing your ideas with others from different discipline or professional contexts.
Reflective Points: are opportunities for you to stop and reflect independently.
Discussions: are for you to share your own experiences and ideas with other learners.
Quizzes: at the end of each week will help to revise and consolidate your understanding of the week’s topic.
Peer Review Assignment: provides an opportunity for you to give and receive feedback on Activity 1(b) from your ePortfolio.
Tips to communicating online
- Try to keep your comments brief and to the point
- Use no more than two short paragraphs.
- Read your comments and replies all the way through before you post them. If you post in a hurry you may regret it later – you can’t delete but you can edit your comments
- Constructively criticise the idea, not the person – and be polite when you do
- Don’t write a reply that you wouldn’t say face to face
- Remember that learners vary in culture, age and experience
- Not all learners have English as their first language, so always try to write clearly
- Explain any acronyms you use and avoid jargon if you can
- If you see a message that you think is offensive click its ‘Report’ flag icon. It will be reviewed by FutureLearn’s moderators and will be removed if they agree with you
We strongly encourage you to interact with other participants on this course at every opportunity. You can also use the course hashtag, #FLlearnteach, to contribute to the discussions on social networks.