Bird's eye view
A re-cap of the key points to remember when considering recognition and reward in your teaching space:
- Sincere, meaningful praise beats material reward every time
- Different students need reinforcement at different frequencies and intensities
- Catch students who go ‘over and above’ your expectations
- Have a mechanism for acknowledging appropriate conduct that you use to teach new routine
- Everyone likes their parents to feel proud
Imagine looking down on your teaching space and watching the comings and goings. How are students encouraged in their efforts? How are they recognised for their persistence and good conduct? How are they made to feel valued?
Create a list of all the opportunities for students to earn recognition for excellence, for going over and above minimum standards. Include the verbal and non-verbal recognition that you give personally. Use the re-cap of key points above to help you.
© National STEM Learning Centre