Bird's eye view
A re-cap of the key points to remember when considering recognition and reward in your teaching space:
- Sincere, meaningful praise beats material reward every time
- Different students need reinforcement at different frequencies and intensities
- Learners need to understand what expectations are
- Learners should be encouraged to improve their own behaviour rather than compete with each other
- Everyone likes their parents to feel proud
- Systems should be consistent and fair
Imagine looking down on your teaching space and watching the comings and goings. How are students encouraged in their efforts? How are they recognised for their persistence and good conduct? How are they made to feel valued?
Create a list of all the opportunities for students to earn recognition for excellence, for going over and above minimum standards. Include the verbal and non-verbal recognition that you give personally. Use the re-cap of key points above to help you.
© National STEM Learning Centre