Weekly study3 hours
Managing My Investments
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Improve your understanding of investments and the decisions you make
Research shows that UK households are poor at investment management, with a limited understanding of choices, risks and returns. This could mean that many people cannot afford to retire in future.
This online course will give you the tools to avoid this nightmare. You will study investment choices, and the risks and returns of each; investment strategies and your risk-return appetite; and behaviours that can impair effective investment decisions.
The Open University’s Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance created this course, with the generous support of True Potential LLP.
- Week 1: Why and how should we invest for the future?
- Week 2: The spectrum of personal investments
- Week 3: Devising investment strategies – principles and practice
- Week 4: Investment in practice: practices, styles, history and performance
- Week 5: Investing for retirement: planning your pension
- Week 6: Investment and human behaviour
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Assess and to understand the range of investments available to the public and the factors that determine the returns they provide.
- Calculate to understand pension products and how to plan for income in retirement.
- Engage to understand key investment theories and their linkage to investment practice.
- Demonstrate to understand to how evaluate investment performance.
- Assess to understand financial risks.
- Explore how behavioural factors (or biases) can affect investment behaviour.
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their personal financial skills to make good decisions when managing their investments and buying investment products. The course does not require any previous experience of this subject.
Who developed the course?
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020