Support your students' transition into work, understand the careers they'll be entering, and give them the best chance of success.
Weekly study2 hours
Mapper: Navigating Digital Career Tools
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Help your students make more informed choices about their future
The job market has changed beyond all recognition over the last decade. On this course, you’ll learn how to better support your students as they make their way into the workplace.
You’ll explore a range of digital career tools available to help save your students’ time and make their transition into work easier, from work experience opportunities to employer engagement.
You’ll learn how to help your students understand the modern job market, and also improve your school or college’s career guidance offering so your students can make well-researched decisions about their future.
What topics will you cover?
- How the world of work is changing and why we need to change with it
- How digital tools will help young people to develop skills they will need in the future to succeed
- What digital tools are available to help you, where you can access them and how to use them
- How you can start to apply this now and make the changes that so desperately need to happen
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
Add to Wishlist to be emailed when new dates are announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare your own experiences and journey in the world of work
- Reflect on the impact of changes to the world of work
- Evaluate your current careers provision and how this compares with best practice
- Assess the impact of change in your students and what can be done to mitigate this
- Reflect on what interventions are required and when
- Discuss how you could fit these interventions in to your lesson planning
- Reflect on what encounter types exist and the benefits of them
- Explore digital tools that can support you in delivering quality interventions
- Produce an action plan of how you can apply these tools
- Explore digital tools that can support careers activity outside of the classroom
- Collaborate with peers and review their action plans
- Apply your learnings and make sure that you have reflected this in your plans
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for teachers in schools seeking professional development in preparing students for the world of work.
This course is relevant for all teachers in schools and further education who’d like to better understand how their students enter employment.
The course will emphasise the rise in demand for STEM but be accessible and appealing to all educators.
Who will you learn with?
Sherry Coutu is a serial entrepreneur and angel investor who serves on the boards of companies, charities, and universities. She chairs Founders4Schools and founded The Scale Up Institute & Workfinder
Neelam is an Engagement Manager at Founders4Schools, managing connections between educators and the business community to support young people with their employability skills and readiness.
Who developed the course?
Founders4Schools is an award-winning educational-tech charity working towards a vision where children and young people are given the best start in life, no matter their background. They connect children and young people with inspirational role models to improve their aspirations, fulfil their potential and prepare them for the rapidly changing world of work.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLMapper to talk about this course on social media.