Explore how and why market segmentation can be used to improve customer satisfaction and business performance.
Weekly study3 hours
The Digital Economy: Success through Market Segmentation
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Tailor your offers to your customer's needs
Marketing is all about putting the customer at the centre of the business. But what exactly does that mean today? And what challenges do marketers face in satisfying ever more demanding customers in the digital age?
In this online course, you will look at how marketers can gain a competitive advantage, by using the vast amount of customer data available, to segment, target and personalise products for their customers.
The course provides an in-depth grounding in market segmentation as a process, revealing how you can adapt it to improve the performance of all businesses.
What topics will you cover?
- What the digital economy means for the function of marketing
- What market segmentation is and why market segmentation matters
- The link between business strategy and marketing
- The process of segmentation, targeting and positioning
- Ethical issues in market segmentation
- The explosion of information and data in the digital age
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify and understand the impact of the digital economy on why and how market segmentation is used by organisations
- Summarise and link segmentation strategy to an organisation’s overall strategic direction, recognising the impact of the digital economy
- Produce and use market segmentation to improve your organisation’s performance in the digital world
- Demonstrate sensitivity to ethical issues arising from market segmentation in the digital economy
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for learners wanting to know about how the digital era is affecting market segmentation strategies of organisations, their customers and stakeholders. You do not require any previous knowledge or experience of marketing to study this course but you could benefit from having some knowledge of business in general.
Find further information about OU registration, the assessment module and MBA in the entry requirements.
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Digital Economy program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course BXM871 Managing in the Digital Economy starts July 2020. Please ensure that you allow yourself enough time to obtain all four Certificates of Achievement from courses in the program before registering for the Assessment Course. Details of runs of the relevant FutureLearn courses in 2019 and 2020 are available here.
Who will you learn with?
Hilary is a senior lecturer in executive education with research interests in the economic and cultural role of the creative industries. She researches academic identity and the future of work.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLDEmarkets to talk about this course on social media.