Maths Subject Knowledge: Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
Duration 6 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $114 Find out more
Make learning fractions, decimals and percentages easier for your students
Often, when teachers are asked which maths topic they find the most difficult to teach and for their students to learn, teachers say fractions.
On this course, you will explore why they find fractions difficult and consider new approaches and methodologies for teaching them that are easier to grasp for your students.
You will learn how to avoid teaching the subject in isolation as you approach fractions, decimals and percentages as three interconnected topics. This will help to give your students context and give them a deeper understanding of the maths structure behind fractions.
What topics will you cover?
- What is a fraction? The importance of considering the ‘whole’
- Multiplying fractions, decimals and percentages
- Adding and subtracting fractions, decimals and percentages
- Dividing with fractions and decimals
- Problem solving with percentages
- Application of fractions, decimals and percentages across the wider curriculum
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for teachers and educators who don’t have a specialism in maths but wish to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding.
- new teachers, student teachers or people just about to start their teaching career who are interested in increasing their mathematical subject knowledge
- inexperienced teachers of mathematics for whom mathematics was not a major part of their degree
- non-specialist teachers of mathematics whose expertise lies elsewhere.
- teachers of science
- teachers of technology, engineering, and other related subjects
- parents wishing to support their children.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMMathsKnowledge to talk about this course on social media.