- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- Extra BenefitsFrom $109
Maths Subject Knowledge: Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
Make learning fractions, decimals and percentages easier for your students
Often, when teachers are asked which maths topic they find the most difficult to teach and for their students to learn, teachers say fractions.
On this course, you will explore why they find fractions difficult and consider new approaches and methodologies for teaching them that are easier to grasp for your students.
You will learn how to avoid teaching the subject in isolation as you approach fractions, decimals and percentages as three interconnected topics. This will help to give your students context and give them a deeper understanding of the maths structure behind fractions.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify why students find the concept of fractions demanding.
- Develop strategies to enable students to demonstrate their understanding, and use, of fractions.
- Explore the links between fractions, decimals and percentages and become fluent in their application in differing contexts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mathematical structure and not just teach the ‘tricks’.
- Solve mathematical problems in context.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for teachers and educators who don’t have a specialism in maths but wish to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding.
- new teachers, student teachers or people just about to start their teaching career who are interested in increasing their mathematical subject knowledge
- inexperienced teachers of mathematics for whom mathematics was not a major part of their degree
- non-specialist teachers of mathematics whose expertise lies elsewhere.
- teachers of science
- teachers of technology, engineering, and other related subjects
- parents wishing to support their children.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMMathsKnowledge to talk about this course on social media.