Weekly study3 hours
Maths Subject Knowledge: Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
Make learning fractions, decimals and percentages easier for your students
Often, when teachers are asked which maths topic they find the most difficult to teach and for their students to learn, teachers say fractions.
On this course, you will explore why they find fractions difficult and consider new approaches and methodologies for teaching them that are easier to grasp for your students.
You will learn how to avoid teaching the subject in isolation as you approach fractions, decimals and percentages as three interconnected topics. This will help to give your students context and give them a deeper understanding of the maths structure behind fractions.
- What is a fraction? The importance of considering the ‘whole’
- Multiplying fractions, decimals and percentages
- Adding and subtracting fractions, decimals and percentages
- Dividing with fractions and decimals
- Problem solving with percentages
- Application of fractions, decimals and percentages across the wider curriculum
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify why students find the concept of fractions demanding.
- Develop strategies to enable students to demonstrate their understanding, and use, of fractions.
- Explore the links between fractions, decimals and percentages and become fluent in their application in differing contexts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mathematical structure and not just teach the ‘tricks’.
- Solve mathematical problems in context.
Who is the course for?
This course is specifically designed for secondary school teachers and educators who are not specialised in maths, but who are wanting to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding of the subject.
It’s particularly suitable for new teachers and those studying teaching as a profession. Primary school teachers may find this course useful to understand how the mathematics curriculum progresses further in secondary school.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.