What can health professionals do to help torture survivors?
Here is some advice:
- Give the patient time to open up
- Use a professional interpreter so that the patient may get an opportunity to properly explain what he/she has been through
- Dare to ask «uncomfortable» questions
- Show empathy and respect to reduce feelings of guilt and shame
- Record symptoms and signs in the patient’s file that may be compatible with torture
- Refer to medicolegal experts who can write reports
- Refer to specialists and other health care professions who can provide appropriate medical treatment
If you have other good suggestions, please share them below.