Weekly workplace activity
This activity will need to be started in your workplace or care setting and your findings outlined in the discussion in the next step.
For more information or if you do not have access to a care setting, search for each type of medicine on the NHS website.
Task 1 - the medicines policy
Find and read your medicines policy and identify the person who is responsible for ensuring this is kept up to date.
Identify the person in your workplace you can ask questions to clarify anything that you are unsure of in the medicines policy.
Task 2 - medicines in the care setting
Find examples of the following types of medicines within your workplace:
- Analgesics (relieve pain)
- Antibiotics (prevent or treat infection)
- Anti-coagulants/ anti-platelets (prevent blood from clotting)
- Antacids (neutralise stomach acid/ alleviates heartburn)
- Anti-psychotics (used to calm disturbed patients)
- Diuretics (increase the production of urine)
- Hormones (replacement therapy where disease means there is insufficient production)
- Laxatives (to help empty the bowels)
- NSAID’s (Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) (reduce pain and inflammation)
You can find a printable version of this activity using the link below.
© University of East Anglia