Metabolomics: Understanding Metabolism in the 21st Century
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $69 Find out more
Why join the course?
Metabolomics is an emerging field that aims to measure the complement of metabolites (the metabolome) in living organisms. The metabolome represents the downstream effect of an organism’s genome and its interaction with the environment. Metabolomics has a wide application area across the medical and biological sciences. The course provides an introduction to metabolomics, describes the tools and techniques we use to study the metabolome and explains why we want to study it. By the end of the course you will understand how metabolomics can revolutionise our understanding of metabolism.
What topics will you cover?
- Metabolism and the interaction of the metabolome with the genome, proteome and the environment
- The advantages of studying the metabolome
- The application of hypothesis generating studies versus the use of traditional hypothesis directed research
- The use of targeted and non-targeted studies in metabolomics
- An interdisciplinary approach with case-studies from clinical and environmental scientific areas
- Important considerations in studying the metabolome
- Experimental design and sample preparation
- The application of mass spectrometry in metabolomics
- An introduction to data processing and analysis
- Metabolite identification
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
The course is primarily aimed at final year undergraduate science students and research scientists who are interested in learning about the application of metabolomics to understand metabolism. However, metabolomics is a new tool to the scientific community and this course will provide a valuable introduction to scientists at any stage in their careers. It is not essential to have any previous knowledge of the subject area but a reasonable knowledge and understanding of science would be beneficial.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLmetabolomics to talk about this course on social media.