Find out how to help students dealing with trauma
You’ll hear from experienced teachers talking about the challenges, what they learnt, and strategies they have used when teaching migrant and refugee learners both in countries affected by conflict and in host countries.
Whether you are a language teacher, a teacher of another subject, or a volunteer working with refugees and migrant learners, you’ll find ideas and strategies that you can use to better understand your learners. The course will help you to build inclusive classrooms and develop your learners’ confidence, taking into account the languages they know and their cultures.
What topics will you cover?
- Global trends in migration and displacement as a result of different types of conflicts
- The role and impact of language use as well as language development in migration and displacement
- The range of educational pathways and curricula for students from formal to informal to remedial and the role of the community in supporting learning
- The importance of challenging discrimination and promoting inclusive classrooms which foster collaborative learning
- The learning and behaviour needs of primary and secondary learners who have experienced trauma, displacement and conflict
- The effects of loss, trauma and displacement on the brain and how this knowledge can help teachers to understand learning difficulties and challenging behaviour
- The importance of teacher self-care and the role of well-being in coping with the impact of trauma on teachers and learners
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the causes, patterns and impact of migration on teaching and learning
- Develop a profile of your learners and consider strategies to engage and include them
- Apply a set of practical tools and techniques in the classroom environment to better cope with the impact of trauma on teachers and learners
Who is the course for?
The course will be useful for anyone working with migrants and refugees in an educational context.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLMRE to talk about this course on social media.