What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Should we all just speak one language?
- Introduction to the course
- Language ‘riches’: the languages we speak, the languages we learn
- Monolingualism and multilingualism in today’s world
Week 2: What do we do about the danger in a single language?
- Language and power in a context of globalisation
- Verbal Hygiene: can or should we ‘clean up’ language?
- Being a language teacher and learner
Week 3: Everyone is a language learner, and learning languages is a creative art
- Language learning as creative art, and the role of creative arts in language learning
- The freedom to achieve potential: the ‘capabilities approach’
- End of course peer review reflection
When would you like to start?
What will you achieve?
Who is the course for?
There are no prior requirements to join this course. As you prepare for it, you should start to consider the following:
- What languages do you speak?
- What kinds of arts do you yourself practice? For example, dance, music or visual art.
Who will you learn with?
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $64 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLMultilingua to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course