Hosted platforms are run on someone else’s server - examples of hosted eCommerce platforms are Shopify and Bigcommerce.
- Hosted sites are easy to use
- Limited to no coding knowledge is required
- Relatively easy to set up
- Updates are automatic as they are managed by the host company
- Most hosted platforms have solid SEO capability
- Online marketplaces such as Ebay, Etsy and Amazon assist in attracting buyers and increasing your presence online.
- Because these platforms are built from templates, you have limited access and flexibility to code and personalise your eCommerce platform if you want something unique
- Turnaround time to make adjustments via the support area (lack of control over the host company support staff availability)
- Negotiation of the initial contact could be great for the first year or two, but as the business evolves, it may not be suitable for future years and the contract may not be easily changed
- Costs associated with the hosting and selling of your products.
© RMIT University 2016